At Speen School, our outstanding curriculum arises from our beautiful site and village locality. Our child-centred approach to learning is built to achieve purposeful and enriching key learning outcomes. These outcomes provide each child with an exciting focus on their learning, developing skills that are necessary for today’s world and instilling a lifelong love of learning as they progress through their educational journey.
It is our intent for our curriculum to facilitate discovery, harnessing children’s natural curiosity in learning. Our curriculum offers pupils exciting and engaging learning experiences, which are designed to:
- Encourage pupils to eagerly seek knowledge about the amazing world around them.
- Help pupils to enjoy and take pride in developing skills which enable them to achieve the highest standards of which they are capable.
- Develop pupils’ individual powers of observation, discussion, reasoning and communication, especially the ability to use language and number.
- Stimulate pupils’ appreciation of the scale and scope of human achievement, past and present (cultural capital), and to encourage them to seek, believe and achieve in the development of their own creative talents and skills.
- Foster personal growth in our school’s values of respect, honesty, courage, compassion, responsibility and family, to equip pupils to live lives as confident and competent individuals, able to make informed and reasoned choices for themselves, developing healthy relationships, having a high regard for the needs of others.
Please see our full Curriculum Policy for further details. Also, see the documents below for details of individual subjects.
Subject Specific Overviews
Art & Design
Design and Technology
At Speen School, we nurture the natural curiosity of our children and shape it into scientific enquiry. We scaffold learning and skills so that children develop their understanding of the world around them and develop the confidence to explore, collect evidence and test their own hypothesis. Our pupils love to spend their time in our uniquely beautiful and inspiring setting. Their opportunities to understand and explore the world around us as well as develop scientific skills are extensive, whether it is listening for different sounds, searching for mini beasts within our home-designed ‘Bugingham Palace’, sensory garden or pond area, or observing the changing seasons within our natural environment.